Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Voices of the Marginalized on the Internet

"New digital technologies are transforming the sense of 'silence' by offering opportunities for traditionally invisible groups, such as the women of South Asia, to find new discursive space where they can voice themselves and thus become visible and make their presence felt." When I read this I immediately related, I am a Tumblr user and as a user you begin to connect with people on a whole new level. You meet by having mutual interests (usually in tv or movies), we can gush about a new thing that we see and they understand us. It is almost like a giant group of nerds and geeks that can connect through the internet and get to know people like us. I know for me it is hard to connect to people unless I have something in common with them. When I was in high school I know I was much more shy than I am now, but the internet allowed me to make friends and allowed me to share my thought and opinions with people who wanted to listen. This connection took my silence in real life and allowed me to share whatever I wanted with the world. The nice thing about Tumblr is that no one is there to judge you or make fun of your interests and thoughts.

Questions:
What do you think the importance of sharing your voice is?
Do you think cyberspace is helping people or is it hurting people?
What sites do you feel comfortable sharing your voice on? What sites do you not?

No comments:

Post a Comment